I tried getting LU0 to work, but couldn't. So I used LU2 and it worked.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Patrick O'Keefe
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 4:02 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: What is largest record that can be sent using LU2?

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:33:18 -0500, Chris Mason <chrisma...@belgacom.net>
wrote:

A minor gloss on Chris's response ...

>If you want to indicate that the request units you are sending
>constitute a larger unit of data at the level of the application,
>.... There are two bits in the request header which are used to
>indicate "only in chain", "beginning of chain", middle
>in chain" and "end of chain" with an obvious pattern of use.

The "Large Message Performance Enhancement" (which has nothing
to do with performance, as far as I can see) allows a program to
send an indefinitely long (I think) list of blocks of data, each up to
32k bytes long (I think).  VTAM will do all the required collecting and
chaining.  I'd be very surprised if CICS did not use LMPE.  It has
been available since the early to mid 80s, and is very handy for
combining independent chunks of data into one RU (chain), whether
or not "large" applies.

>I can't tell you what limits you may encounter in CICS or Windows/CS.
>If you are in charge of the programming behind each of the
>communicating LUs, just how large the units of data at the
>level of the application are will be a matter with which your
>programming will deal. ...

On the other hand, if there is something inherently 3270-ish in the
Windows/CS side - something like a display buffer - be aware that
data will wrap when it comes to the end of the buffer and overlay
what may be at the beginning of the buffer.  If there is NOT anything
3270-ish involved, why is an LU2 session being used?

Please forgive me for breaking my vow of silence.   I'll now return to
lurkdom.

Pat O'Keefe

==========================
solely for the use of the individual or entity
to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify the system manager. This message
contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual
named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the
sender immediately by e-mail if you
have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
If you are not the intended recipient
you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in
reliance on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited.