The documentation for FDRTCOPY contains the following in its explanation of
the EXP paramater of the copy command (the following is paraphrased and out
of order from the manual):

EXP=JCL is the default

EXP=JCL says that any EXPDT or RETPD on the output tape will be honored. If
these are not present on the DD statement, the expiration date will be copied
from the input file.

So Russell's guess is on the money.

Jeff Holst
Fiserv