On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 08:16:19 -0500, Mark Zelden wrote:

>Even though I wrote the alias relationship backwards, I thought I did when
>I indicated "COMMANDS" is the member help looks at.  Gilbert needed
>to update COMMANDS, not IKJEFH90 - which I'm sure he figured out.

Indeed, I was headed in the wrong direction.  I was unaware of the
instruction to update the COMMANDS member manually, and imagined
that Gilbert wanted to be able to display the information automatically,
as from the content of a directory listing.

It should still be possible to build COMMANDS automatically, as
by extracting specially formatted lines from the various members.
Alas, this was apparently not planned for.

>Of course using ISPF edit will destroy the MALIAS, ...

Does this get any better with PDSE?  I'm viewing this from
the point of view of UNIX filesystems, where it is possible
to update a member and preserve either directory links or
symbolic links; in the first case because the member can
be overwritten and the inode (corresponds to directory
entry) is updated, not replaced; in the latter case because
symbolic links refer to the member by name, not by TTR.

-- gil