As far as I know all ISPF compress operations are done using IEBCOPY, If so,
IEBCOPY enques on IEWxxx and staw to protect the directory from being
manipulated. It does not protect the directory from read, so if CICS or any
other program that has in storage copy of the PDS directory, can be effected
from the fact that directory and actual space allocation are not consistent.
I believe that the source for information is ISPF customization guide where
you might be abale to specify the compression module name and the utilities
reference for IEBCOPY (if this is what you use to compress). This was
extructed from the planning & customization guide (See the sentence starting
with "Instead of using IEBCOPY":
*

Compress request exit
*

In the ISPF configuration table keyword file, this exit is set with the
keywords

COMPRESS_UTILITY_PROGRAM_EXIT (if your exit is a program) and

COMPRESS_UTILITY_CLIST_EXIT (if your exit is a CLIST).

Instead of using the IEBCOPY system utility interface that PDF provides, you
can

specify that PDF use an installation-written exit routine to handle requests

compress partitioned data sets under options 3.1, 3.4, and the LMCOMP
service.

When the compress exit gets control, the data set will have already been
allocated

and enqueued as exclusive. The exit will have to re-allocate the data set to

specific ddname. As part of termination processing, the exit must free the
allocated

ddname. The FREE operation must not be done by data set name. PDF allows the

exit routine to:

v Use an alternate compression technique

v Provide backup before allowing normal PDF compression

v Selectively prevent compression.

PDF

program or CLIST. All ISPF and system services are available.

ITschak