On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:09:24 -0500, Chase, John wrote:

>Perhaps we have something misconfigured, but I've wondered why I must
>append an asterisk to a "prefix" value, say, to display all the CICS
>regions on the DA screen.  If I enter "PRE CICS" I get a blank screen,
>but if I enter "PRE CICS*" I see all the CICSes that are running.  Why
>isn't "CICS" treated as a "PREFIX" when I say it's a PREFIX?
>
>This is at z/OS 1.9 and earlier (back as far as I can remember).

I can remember back further.  At one time, PREFIX was exactly that:
a prefix, with no wildcard characters supported, much less required.
At some point, SDSF extended the syntax to support wildcards, but
chose to overload "PREFIX", rather than provide a more suitable name,
such as "PATTERN".  It was particularly jarring at that upgrade
boundary when "PREFIX USER" ceased to display anything except for
the TSO session of "USER".  I needed to ask an expert to discover
that the novus ordo seclorum required "PREFIX USER*".  But I believe
that constructs such as "PREFIX FOO*BAR*", and even counterintuitively
"PREFIX *A", are now possible.

-- gil