-------------------------------<snip>----------------------------------
Depending on the application and the OS, an Intel quad core high end might well match a z10 quad core for all but decimal arithmetic. How many z10s would it take to run the equivalent of 1500 blades linked in a cluster running google?
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Each platform has strengths and weaknesses. While the Intel x86 has a certain amount of strength over the z platform in raw compute power, the z platform does decimal arighmetic at speeds that the x86 platform can only dream about. Ditto for large amounts of I/O. Intel and AMD haven't even begun to match the speed of the z platform's channel architecture.

What platform fits YOUR business needs best?

Rick