On 29 Oct 2009 03:17:25 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>>How can new programs determine if they received the new or the old
>>format, i.o.w. if they can/should process the data after byte 100 or not?
>
>It's really quite simple Kees, the program should process exactly the
>number of bytes that the 2-byte (halfword) length prefix says is
>present, no more and no less.  This has been the case for > 40 years.

Back in the dark ages when I was programming, I checked the parm
length field to be sure that it was values that I was expecting (zero
being just one of the values).  I would never have considered just
using the Parm length field to determine the size of a move to a work
area.  I also would not have used an arbitrary size value for any
operation on the parm field since the parm could be either missing or
shorter than expected.  Either case could cause mysterious things to
happen.  Since my recollection of the size field being a halfword
seems to be correct, then what is the problem with a parm field over
100 bytes since any using program should be testing the size and
making sure that any overwrite isn't occurring anyway (or that an
overly short field isn't being passed)?