>I've had sufficient experience with dongles to implement
>rule 1: If your business depends on it, crack it.

I disagree, and I think that's supremely bad advice. Hopefully you were
joking.

In many countries, if you actually follow that advice the vendor could
successfully sue your business into oblivion. (Most businesses depend on
not being sued into oblivion.) Vendors could also unilaterally take a full
range of retaliatory actions if (when) they ever discover any such
tampering, and in many countries there'd be nothing you could do to prevent
that. As examples, the vendor could refuse to ship you patches, version
updates, deny any support to you whatsoever, and/or blacklist you and
everyone you've ever met (including your second cousin) from ever doing
business with the vendor (and the vendor's friends) ever again. And *then*
the vendor could sue your business into (further) oblivion. In many
countries you could also be liable for criminal penalties. (That'd be
personal fines and/or jail time.)

But there's an easy solution. If your business really depends on a USB key
fob, contact the vendor and buy two, with staggered expiration dates. Put
one at site one, the other at site two. As another option, buy one USB key
fob, and set up a contract (with a specific Service Level Agreement) for
authorized remote hosting as backup. Or implement a legal variation of
these basic ideas.

Those are much better solutions than doing something (quite frankly, at
best) dumb, don't you think?

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan / Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com