This does not have to be a 'all-or-none', or 'my-way-or-the-highway' issue.

Assume the some programs can accept JCL-format parms of more than 100
bytes. Also assume that some programs cannot accept such parms. Also
assume you don't want to force program changes.

So what's the issue? In some cases, you want to be able to pass more than
100 characters as a JCL parm to a program that is capable of handling it.

I believe it's been discussed already, but why not just request an additional
JCL parameter, such as PARMX or EXTPARM, or whatever, that has the
following restrictions: Cannot be specified along with PARM, and a maximum
length of 32767 characters, with the same formatting requirements as the
PARM parameter. Document the restriction that passing more than 100
characters to a program should only be done when the program supports it.
The resulting data as presented to the called program would be the same:
pointer to HW length followed by data of that length. So, coding PARM='RENT'
or PARMX='RENT' results in the same data.

I have no requirement for passing more than 100 characters in the parm for
the linkage editor or HLASM. So, I could code PARM or PARMX. It makes no
difference. I don't even care if these two programs ever support more than
100 characters.

However, I may need to pass more than 100 characters to some program,
such as the COBOL compiler. First, I have to know that the compiler supports
it. Second, I need the JCL support. Today, assuming the called program
supports the parm, if I want to create a simulated parm, I could front-end the
compiler with REXX or assembler, building the long parm list as needed. With a
new JCL option, I could bypass the front end process.

Finally, what about users who pass more than 100 character parms to
programs that are not coded to handle them? That's why you document "Don't
do that, or you get unexpected results." What happens now if I pass an
invalid parm to a program?