At October 7, 2005 12:14, concerning "RE: Summarize length of all
variable length recor", Barry Merrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote (to Neil
Duffee):

> [snip]
> However, it is not necessary to use an explicit RETAIN statement, when
> you, instead, use the "SUM Statement" syntax, which has an implied
> retain:
> [snip]

Hey!  I learned some more SAS today.  All these years, I've been
using RETAIN statements for my 'sum' variables when it's not
necessary.  I always used them to avoid 'missing values' during
calculations and didn't realize (ie. RTM further) these extra
properties.  Tks much for pointing that out.
---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer 2004