On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:41:59 -0600, McKown, John
<john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> wrote:

>Tom,
>
>Thank you very much for that information. I wonder why management around
here has always been pushing the "don't use the mainframe unless you
absolutely must" button. I.e. do more desk checking rather than a compile to
find syntax errors. Perhaps there has been some miscommunication. Or I'm just
stupid (a good possibility).

Here we decommissioned a production application that went to a toy box
application that used IMS when it was on the mainframe.  Although it went to
production on the toy box, the users still wanted look up capability on the
mainframe of their legacy data.  They didn't push for this "upgrade to a more
modern application", they loved the one they had, but I regress...   Anyway
we still facilitate lookup, we just moved the IMS data to a different LPAR and
subsystem.  Their data is there for their viewing, albeit on an LPAR that runs
at less MSUs than production, thus saving us coin.

We did the same thing with COBOL compiles, we do not allow compiles on our
production LPAR, only test, and therefore we are not billed the higher MSU
rating on the production LPAR.

I can understand why management would want to avoid contention on a box
(or even LPAR) against a customers SLA, but if it isn't running 100% all the
time, then I say their view of "don't use the mainframe unless you absolutely
must" is the stupid one, not you.