I started using // at the end of all my jobs back when my jobs really were
on card decks.  We called it a "hard end of job".   My understanding back
then was that the system read in my card deck and would keep looking for
more cards in my job until it hit either the // hard end of job or the next
job card.  Your job on a card deck did not really get submitted until the
card reader saw the // or the next JOB card.  So I always put // at the end
so my job would be submitted immediately.  You didn't have to do that if the
computing center was busy and there were lots of frequent jobs, but if you
were there by yourself when it was quiet (as I often was) you put on the //
to get your job moving right away.  I assume there was some sort of timeout
value in the system that would eventually submit a job with no // at the end
even if there were no next JOB card for a while.

I still use it today as  a handy place to keep junk.  For jobs that
frequently change I keep alternatives for the DD cards and such below the //
and they get ignored.  When I edit the job I can quickly and easily change
the jobs by adding or deleting // cards or moving stuff above or below the
// card.  It's easier than using //* to comment out blocks of lines and then
uncomment them when I want them.  I never tried putting it at the top like
your example.

--Roger