From: Michael R. Mayne [michael.ma...@hhsys.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:08 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: High CPU / channel ovhd w/3592 and DFDSS

OK, I'll 'fess - the old tape subsystem is a 3490-A20 controller with 2
3490-B40 drive units.  The old tape subsystem has hardware compression, as
does the new.  I'll check for software compression (never thought of it,
actually), but I doubt that it's turned on.  If it was, I'd expect CPU (on
this box, which is a Uni) to be closer to 100% than 50%.  Compression would
also not explain why the CHPID utilization for the tapes is so high (and I
think the CHPID utilization is directly related to the CPU overhead).  Could
I have them defined inefficiently somehow in my IOCDS?  Am I doing bad
things to tape performance with DFSMS DATACLAS or STORCLAS settings?  I
guess I won't know exactly what's wrong until it's fixed...

Thanks.
-Mike