Yes, some vendor software does have a grace period so it will work
during a cut over/upgrade or in the case of a disaster recovery test or
the real thing - others don't.  The problem is that the really critical
pieces of software usually don't.

Why do you want your vendors sleeping during the upgrade anyway.  Don't
you want them there biting their finger nails right along with you. :-)

In 35 years in the business, first as a MVS sys prog and now as a
performance analyst, I've never seen anyway to pretest the software
keys.  I'd be interested if anyone knows of one.

Tom Kelman
Enterprise Capacity Planner
Commerce Bank of Kansas City
(816) 760-7632

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.