-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 9:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Now is time for banks to replace core system according to
Accenture

<SNIP>
>And it is no longer though of as odd at all when a car goes a couple of
>hundred thousand miles.

I don't recall ever driving a car in the 1960's or 1970's that didn't
last
in excess of 100,000 miles.

<SNIP>

Ok, let us put this in a bit of perspective. All the cars that I have
owned (US or European) prior to 1980 (actually some were made in the
'50s, the rest in the '60s) required points, plugs and condenser about
every 6K miles. An engine overhaul (for every one of the V8s that I
drove) at about 100K miles. The valves all had to be adjusted about
every 3K (except for the ones with hydraulic valves - the V8s). Clutches
for the 4 cylinder cars only made it to about 100K.

Every car I've bought built in 1980 or later, engine overhauls were not
needed until well over 100K (my latest is closing in on 200K with the
original clutch). Plugs haven't needed replacing until at least 50K
miles (current is going on 90K and still getting > 35MPG). NO valve
adjustments needed (the Toyotas have to have a timing belt changed at
about 60K which is annoying).

We won't even compare the LKW/Lorry/Semi differences. You would be
absolutely floored as to how good those have become. The same for the
motorcycles (particularly with shaft drive compared to chains).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those held by this
poster's employer --