During the early 90's I was with two diffiferent software companies.  I
saw the same leap year problem at both.  It was widely reported at other
companies.

What was amazing was that the problem recurred in 92, 94 and 96 because of
1) bad zaps 2) zaps that were sourced wrong or not at all 3) new code with
the same old errors.  It got to the point, it was funny if tragic.

There are no new bugs.  The old ones live forever with new clothes and/or
bodies.

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 01/07/2010
06:55:06 PM:

> A variant of what some people have been calling Y2.01K?
>
> I have seen reports of systems that think that this year is 2016 instead
of
> 2010. There was some speculation (mostly uninformed) that this might be
due
> to confusion between binary and BCD year numbers (or year offsets).
>
> That reminds me of a problem I saw in 1990, in several programs, where
leap
> year logic went wrong due to testing the year number for
> divisibility by four as
> if it was a binary number, when it was, in fact, BCD. The one thing that
the
> failing programs had in common was that they were all written in the
1980s.
> 1980 happened to be a leap year, and the faulty logic got the right
> answer all
> the way up to 1989 (Y1.99K, if you like).
>
> That same faulty logic would again get the right answer from 2000
to2009, so
> what I wonder now is whether 2010 might bring deja vu all over again,
for
> some programs written after 2000.

The information contained in this communication (including any
attachments hereto) is confidential and is intended solely for the
personal and confidential use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
communication in error and that any review, dissemination, copying,
or unauthorized use of this information, or the taking of any
please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original
message. Thank you