I know you mentioned that you were reluctant to change the logon procs, but
if you have a CLIST or REXX front-end, you could change that to invoke
another CLIST or REXX exec to detect the production system, issue the
necessary message(s), prompt for acknowledgment, and take action as needed.

Keep in mind also that users can be 'clever'.  If using a 3270 emulator that
allows scripting, they can/will set it up to automatically answer the
prompt, essentially defeating the purpose.  You may be able to get around
this by generating a random string to be used for the reply.

- Don Imbriale