I am not sure but I think the LE might be getting into your way if you are
trying to create a different return code if it something like an S0C4 or
S0C7.

Let me know if I do not understand.

Currently your assembler program may get an S0C7 but it will produce a
different return code?  Is that correct?

If so, in COBOL you may need to use the LE USER HANDLE conditions.  This
function in LE allows the user to get in behind LE (LE is still going to
capture the abend), but let you do other actions.  This may be what you need
to look at.  You may even be able to correct the fields and then go on with
the program without having to quit.  I have not tried this, but I was told
that it could work that way.

It would help to know the z/OS you are running (z/OS V1.9??) and what
version of COBOL.

Lizette