Very useful, thanks.
Graham

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Smith III" <li...@akphs.com>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:38 PM
Subject: Re: OT (?): Are HTML emails unsafe

Steve Comstock wrote:
   For years now I've configured my mail client to not
   accept HTML emails. The common wisdom, as I percieved
   it anyway, has been that HTML emails and various
   kinds of attachements (esp. Word documents) were prime
   paths for viruses to attack your system.

   I seem to be getting a lot more HTML emails these days
   and I got to wondering if technology has changed enough
   that the probability of this kind of email being
   malicious has dropped to extremely small.

There's nothing inherent about HTML that makes it dangerous. The risks, such as they are:

1) About a decade ago, Outlook 97 would let HTML run scripted things that were theoretically unsafe. My IT manager sent me a note which, when opened, played a WAV file which said VERY LOUDLY, "Hey everybody! I'm looking at pr0n over here!" Funny, but of course in certain circumstances, very not. This was fixed LONG ago, quite possibly even as a patch to Outlook 97 (I saved that old note, and it no longer does any such thing). It's worth noting that many folks decided that Outlook was "dangerous" based on this ancient version; using that logic, Firefox is probably worse than IE, since early Netscape wasn't exactly the most secure browser ever.

2) HTML can embed graphics, which can be not-work-safe. Graphics can also be "web bugs", which can tell the server from which the graphic is fetched the identify of the note that fetched it, using a customized URL such as:
http://graphics.server.com/webbug.gif?userid=...@yourdomain.com
The webserver is then configured to serve the graphic (or even not, actually) and it knows -- since it sent only ONE note with that precise query string -- who read the note (well, it thinks it does, anyway; obviously it could be postmas...@yourdomain.com or equivalent, or various 'bots, but). This is semi-evil with spam, as it can telegraph "Hey, we got a live one!" when email is sent using a dictionary attack. Solution: don't open spam, and don't load graphics by default (any modern email client makes loading graphics optional for senders who have not been marked as "safe").

3) Links in HTML could be bogus -- it's easy to say "Click on this URL: www.yourbank.com" and have the visible link not match the actual URL. Again, modern mail clients deal with this by marking such links as invalid, or warning in some other way.

4) Finally, I suppose comments in HTML could contain unsafe words that will get you in trouble if you have net-nanny software. But it's incoming mail, not your fault; no company can reasonably penalize you on that basis!

The bottom line is that HTML email is here to stay. Folks whine about it, but the scales tipped a while ago, and too many senders use it for it to be reasonable to NOT read it. Yes, there are folks who do; they're missing out on some things, alas. I get some lists as Digests, and the HTML parts aren't usable due to the Digest format -- and outnumber the plaintext parts.

My $0.02:

Using good antivirus protection, practicing smart email hygiene, and having one (or several) layers of good spam filtering will keep you out of trouble, and you can enjoy the benefits of HTML email with the rest of the world.

Oh, and if you use Outlook, try Autopreview (NOT the preview pane, the thing that shows you the first couple of lines of unread/all email even before you open it), which is not only nice but can also help you detect spam. Autopreview only looks at the non-HTML MIME-part, so (a) it avoids even the remaining, minor risks and (b) when you *don't* see an Autopreview on a note, you know that there is only an HTML MIME-part (or the body is empty). This provides yet another layer of early warning that this might be a dangerous message, either because what the Autopreview shows you tells you the note isn't interesting, or because there IS no Autopreview when you suspect there should be.

I've built these opinions over the last 30 years of email (not that I had to worry about spam for the first 15 or so!). I currently receive 200-300 notes a day. I have three layers of spam filtering:
- my ISP marks things THEY think are SPAM with a keyword in the Subject:
- Outlook does its silly (and almost useless) filtering
- I have a Bayesian filter that I've trained (K9, www.keir.net, runs as a POP proxy), which adds a header that I can filter on

Rules tag any incoming notes that have been marked as spam either by my ISP or my Bayesian filter with specific categories, and then move them to a spam folder for later analysis.

One of the nice things about the Bayesian filter is that it lets me look at the raw note, so if I'm really suspicious of one, I can check it out safely.

This might sound cumbersome -- but it really isn't. I glance a the spam folder a couple of times a day; with a customized view that includes who the note was sent *TO*, I can easily eliminate obvious spam. The one or two notes left are then equally easy to handle. I get a couple of false positives a week, tops (other than my ISP, who is stupid about some senders), and don't believe I've missed a "real" note in a while. When I delete that spam, it goes into a separate .PST file anyway, so if I later suspect I missed something, I can go hunt it down.

I'm using Outlook 2007 (updated from 2003, updated from 2000, updated from 97). Thunderbird would be equally easy to do all of this with; Eudora too, although it's a pretty weak excuse for a client nowadays. And I'm sure there are others. Outlook Express...not so much, it's free and worth every penny.

OK, I've blathered on long enough. Hope this is useful.

...phsiii

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4831 (20100203) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 4831 (20100203) __________