Timothy Sipples wrote:
John McKown writes:
Maybe it means that IBM wishes every ISPF (development)
shop to use WDz. Which is more profitable to IBM. <cynicism/>

Uh, no.

Your mileage may vary, but Rational Developer for System z tends to be more
parsimonious in its use of mainframe CPU resources, at least with typical
usage patterns. If those are peak monthly 4-hour rolling average CPU
resources, then you would see a financial benefit in using RDz. Again, how
much financial benefit will vary. Any financial benefit mostly comes at
IBM's expense. Enjoy. :-)

Reading between the lines YMMV really means "If you're running a ZAAP". If you're not running a ZAAP then RDz will use substantially more CPU, memory and I/O then good old ISPF for traditional development usage patterns. A case in point is the JES viewer, which has to transfer the spool output to the PC (which it does very slowly). That really does hog disk I/O, network I/O and countless cycles converting the output to ASCII or whatever. I tried to upload a large LE dump and it locked
up RDz for 10 minutes.

It's not all bad, RDz has some very useful features and will appeal to newbies who would consider a 3270 UI user hostile. However, I have my doubts if it will make much of an impact with the old timers.

My own view is that "most" developers should be using RDz for very sensible
business and financial reasons. But that's "most," not all. In "most"
development organizations a mix of RDz and ISPF (probably also with the
ISPF Productivity Tool, formerly known as SPIFFY, and/or other ISPF
utilities) is the best formula.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan / Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com