I have read through several responses to this, and I agree with all of
them.  Performance wise, having less LPARs is probably better.  Our shop
is small and we have only on CEC with three LPARs (production,
development, and sysprog sandbox).  One purpose for the three is to be
able to test new releases of the software without affecting production.
Of course software like the operating system, CICS, and DB2 start in the
sysprog sandbox.  Once the system programmers are satisified it would
move to the development LPAR and then to production.  New releases of
application code start in the development LPAR.

One other advantage of having the separate LPARs is that by using the
LPAR weights I can give preference to the total production LPAR over
what is running is development or the sysprog sandbox.  In the instances
where the total CEC is near its max (month end processing), I would
prefer that development and the sandbox start feeling the pinch before
production does.

Tom Kelman
Enterprise Capacity Planner
Commerce Bank of Kansas City
(816) 760-7632

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.