On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:01:57 +0000, john gilmore wrote:

>You will need several DXDs and a single CXD.
>The absence of this facility from C--Dennis Ritchie did not understand what
>controlled storage was for--is the reason for all the ugliness of multiple
>copies of writable static in C.

It is conventional in C to be able to have writable static
storage statically initialized piecewise from multiple
translation units.  Such initialization is effective even
before the relevant translation unit has been entered by
a call.  The "ugliness" arises when one attempts to accomplish
this with pseudoregisters.

Cue Dave Rivers.

It might be be better with LE facilities, but I understand
LE has its drawbacks.

BTW, are there 64-bit forms of CXD and DXD (regardless that
64-bit address space strains the notion of "register")?

-- gil