-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Ron Hawkins
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 1:06 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Defrag

Steve,

That's not exactly correct. It's 16 extents for 59 volumes and then
you're
done. John's answer is the solution for your problem. ACC and STOP-X37
users
have known this for 30 years.

I have no idea what "reclaiming space in the VTOC" is.

<SNIP>

AFAIK, you are limited to 16 extents on a volume (NON-VSAM, PDS, DAM,
etc.). If you are allowed (or can) do multi-volume, then yes, you get 16
[max] per volume for 59 volumes.

Reclaiming space in the VTOC: If I can get all my space consolidated to
just the DSCB #1, then all the other DSCBs (model 3s) become available,
giving space for more allocations in the VTOC. If I remember correctly,
there can be up to 4 Model 3 DSCBs to get you to 16 extents (for a data
set) -- (non-VSAM, PDS, DAM, PS, etc.). Otherwise, once you have used up
all the DSCBs in the VTOC, you can't allocate anything more, or even get
a secondary extent on that volume. So defragging does recover space for
a VTOC.

Regards,
Steve Thompson