-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Ken Porowski
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 4:50 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Entry point for a Mainframe?

In various threads there has been mention of IBM neglecting the "entry
level" or small z/OS shops.

Taking a look at the "smallest" of the z10s available
 =20
z10-BC 2098-A01 3-MSU (29 MIPS)
z10-EC 2097-401 27-MSU (217 MIPS)
z10-EC 2097-701 115-MSU (924 MIPS)

I wonder what is considered an entry level or small shop these days.

I get along on an older z990-302 132-MSUs (832 MIPS) and it seems pretty
small to me.
Oddly enough the 2097-701 is less MSUS but more MIPS (yes I know it is
marketing and has no basis in reality).
And yes I know that historically the world ran on a dozen or so 1 MIPS
boxes but where would progress be without bloat. =20

Could you actually get any productive work done on a 3 MSU box today?
z/OS, TSO, BATCH, CICS, DB2, Websphere, and associated monitors et.
al.=20
And if you wanted more than one LPAR? (Please do not continue the LPARS
more or less thread here).
<SNIPPAGE>

I could, and have, run a department off of a P390 with OS/390 V1R1, of
10 people and still had sub second response time.

With a MP/3000 type machine (which I think is the truly entry level),
having hard drives on board, Ethernet adapter on board (that works,
Dave), and external tape drives. With this type of set up (at 30MIPS),
I'm quite sure you can handle 100 CICS users, plus a few programmers
using TSO.

This is the level of machine IBM killed when they pulled the plug on the
FLEX/ES boxes.

And those boxes (FLEX/ES) were upgradeable (as I understand it) to be
able to connect to the "standard" RAID boxes, and even have CTCA between
them (once they had ESCON capability), so that you could grow into a
"sysplex".

And what did such a box cost compared to the z10-BC?

That would have been a drop, plug and play environment (pretty much a
turn-key system).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer --