-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Edward Jaffe
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:47 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Mainframe Executive article on the death of tape

Pinnacle wrote:
> Anybody read the Mainframe Executive article on the death of tape as a

> backup media?  The guy writing it used to work for STK and Sun, and
> now works for disk-based backup vendors.  He says the following:
>
> - 15% of all backups fail (my experience < 1%)
> - 10-50% of all restores from tape fail (my experience <1%)
> - 40-50% failure when restoring data from tape > 5 years (my
experience
> again is <1%)
>
> So what are you guys seeing out there?  Do we really have mainframe
> tape failure rates in the double-digits percentwise?  If we do, then
> the guy is right and tape is dead, but I just don't buy those
> figures.  What say you?

<SNIP>
It sounds like the author of the article might be making up his own
statistics. Or maybe those statistics are for tape solutions for other
platforms. Either way, it can't be good for Mainframe Executive.

<SNIP>

Just remember that 84.9% of all statistics are made up on the spot.  ;-)

Regards,
Steve Thompson