On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 9:05 PM, McKown, John <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com
> wrote:

Then there are things like checkpoint restart.  On unix, that is "something
the database does".  There is now OS level facility that lets you restart
where you left off.

There are also file system issues.  It seems lately that there have been
many comments regards ckd disk, etc.  Consider the flip side.  Unix does not
have anything close to vsam.  If you want keyed file access, you either use
a database, ryo or purchase a third party product.  Vsam goes a long way to
solve many problems.  Most unix developers are very surprised at
vsam's capabilities.

 Tapes and tape management are woefully lacking on unix.  There are still
many cases, outside of backup, were tape plays an important role.  With a
unix system, using tape is difficult at best.

Take a look at JCL.  Many unix developers don't see the true facility of
JCL.  That is indirect specification of resources.  JCL (svc 99, etc.)
allows a program to address different input and output as well as printers
and other external devices without the underlying program knowing which
specific resource is being used.  On Unix you must pass very specific
information to fopen or open to obtain the resource.  A "smart" program can
read this information from a configuration file or
via environment variables.   However, there is no standardized way of doing
this.  This makes every "production" job on a unix machine that much
more difficult to manage.

Regards,
Sam