That would be hard to say without really studying the current
environment.  I would imagine that the current Unisys environment is as
far from what they are running on as would be System z using DB2 and
Cobol.  However, since they are on an old Unisys/Burroughs environment
they might be able to get some serious assistance from current Unisys to
upgrade.  You can never tell until you ask.

Tom Kelman
Enterprise Capacity Planner
Commerce Bank of Kansas City
(816) 760-7632

Burroughs
> >(later UniSys) as a database to run on its processors.  Does that
mean
> >they are still running UniSys machines.  If so they have problems
over
> >and above COBOL "not being taught".  It sounds like a typical
government
> >non-upgrade environment.  Now they are caught in the dark ages and
> >instead of upgrading to modern DB2 and COBOL on proper processors
they
> >are probably going to "throw out the baby with the bath water" and
get
> >OMG - WINDOWS.
>
> The intelligent upgrade would be to a current Unisys offering which
> has a migration path from the existing system if disruption is to be
> avoided.  Another alternative would be to consolidate on a platform
> already understood by the agency.  I suspect that moving to COBOL and
> DB2 on z could be more painful and costly than a number of other
> alternatives.
> >
> >Tom Kelman
> >Enterprise Capacity Planner
> >Commerce Bank of Kansas City
> >(816) 760-7632

Math.
> >(like
> >> English and History), Why not require COBOL? It's no more arbitrary
> >than
> >> anything else that nobody wants to take. And there are PC based
COBOL
> >> compilers (at least for Windows). DMSII doesn't ring a bell, but
> >according
> >> to Wikipedia: <quote>DMSII provided: an ISAM model for data access,
> >> transaction isolation and database recovery capabilities.</quote>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisys_DMSII . So all that is needed
is
> >> another database system which has the same API to replace it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> John McKown
> >> Systems Engineer IV
> >> IT
> >>
> >> Administrative Services Group
> >>
> >> HealthMarkets(r)
> >>
> >> 9151 Boulevard 26 * N. Richland Hills * TX 76010
> >> (817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell
> >> john.mck...@healthmarkets.com * www.HealthMarkets.com
> >>
> >> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message may contain
confidential
> >or
> >> proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please
> >> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the
> >original
> >> message. HealthMarkets(r) is the brand name for products
underwritten
> >and
> >> issued by the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. -The
> >> Chesapeake Life Insurance Company(r), Mid-West National Life
Insurance