Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:32:24 +0800, David Crayford wrote:
I would like to see those TCO studies. Truth is there are a lot of
companies (big ones included) that are moving
off mainframes to reduce the TCO. Those "distributed" systems come in
"very" big iron configurations and are
starting to match mainframes for RAS. Sad but true.

I don't understand what you see as "sad".  Do you consider it likewise
sad that in some respects the F-22 Raptor outperforms the Ford Model T?
(Well, not TCO, but for the F-22 TCO is not the primary objective.)

I consider it sad that when I go to conferences almost all of the mainframe customers have exit strategies to get off the platform. It's concerns me because the mainframe is my bread and butter and I want to have job security for the next 20 years. An F22 is top of the range kit, but if a eurofighter does the job for 1/4 of the price then that's an attractive option.

-- gil