Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately, I don't think they solve the
issue...

Terry Sambrooks <terry.sambro...@btclick.com>
It might be a sledge hammer approach, but is the ALLOCnn member of PARMLIB
any use.
... see my original post... ALLOCxx would fail *all* such requests, not just
FTP, and I am nervous of the potential implications.

Bri P <pilgrim...@ntlworld.com>
I don't have anything particularly fancy in place, just the FTP server
config statements for the default disk allocation volume, and DCB
parameters, and the rest is just RACF - they don't have write access.
.... a default disk allocation volume presumably bypasses SMS allocation...
this is not something we want.

Lizette Koehler <stars...@mindspring.com>
Another thought might be an automation solution.
... there doesn't seem to be anything in the WTOR or associated messages
that identifies this as an FTP. Again, we don't want all allocations to fail.

Denis Gäbler <denisgaeb...@netscape.net>
I had a similar idea with an exit replying cancel to all WTORs for
unavailable volumes.
... as for automation, this would cancel all such allocations.

Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>
Another thing could be to make the HFS directory the default when logging in
with a FTP client.
... I suspect the problem is leaving out the quotes in the put to the
mainframe, which this suggestion would not address. And some of our FTP's
are to zFS/HFS files.

Hal Merritt <hmerr...@jackhenry.com>
You might try removing the alias from the master catalog or blocking access
to specific user catalogs.
... we do not have an alias defined and the user has no access to update the
master catalog. Unfortunately, SMS gets its ugly head in there looking for a
suitable volume before things get to the cataloging stage.

I can't help but think that there must be something obvious that we have
overlooked, but can't find it. Why should FTP allocations be any different
to other allocations?

Fred.