>1) As I recall, zFS was introduced in the 1.5-1.6 timeframe, but wasn't
>allowed for the z/OS root until some additional recovery capabilities were
>added in 1.7.  This was just a couple of releases until zFS was really "all
>there".  It's been about five years now since zFS was declared strategic.

I think that zFS was introduced in z/OS 1.2, but definitely in 1.4.  At that
point we were running Lotus Domino on z/OS and had really bad performance
problems on the huge HFSs needed for the Domino data bases. zFS wasn't any
better. We converted to zFS at IBMs recommendation, but ran into a host of
problems. We converted back to HFS, and the performance problems went
away due to the 'reorganization' of the HFSs. By now, Domino runs on zLinux
because it turned out to be a cpu hog that couldn't tolerate being told NO by
the lpar dispatcher.  Still is a cpu hog, for that matter, but on IFLs now.

We are still running HFSs, and will be for some time, I think.

Barbara Nitz