<snip>
I'm curious how you might be expecting to factor in IDRC compression with
the data stored on the tape?  I believe that the BLKCNT represents what is
being stored, not what got sent down the channel.
</snip>

I've been reviewing our tape usage with FATS and the TMC BLKCNT is the
number of uncompressed blocks on the tape, the IDRC number of blocks is
lower of course.

I know you've had numerous replies about arithmetic and geometry but I'd
also suggest that you lokk for bad block sizes on tapes, users and
installations seem less careful with tape block sizes. And as has been
mentioned watch out or exclude 'system' tapes, eg DSS, HSM, etc.

Jack Kelly
202-502-2390 (Office)