I have done more then one migration from z/OS where the version differences
were more then 3-4.
Order a starter system and do the installation seperate from the other
volumes (no disk sharing)
Pay special attention to security (racf), Open Edition and SMS. When
migrating to the new release make a new copy of the RACF database and
reinstall the changes or use racf tools to copy the (changed) passwords and
new defined userid's to the new database.

2010/3/9 Steve Dover <steve.do...@ccbcc.com>

> I am hoping for some 'guidance' from the experience on this site.  I am
> working
> at one of those 'small shops' that have been discussed on here recently.
>  In or
> around 2000, installed 7060-H70 (2 cps, 2 GB storage).  When I started here
> (the first time) had just finished upgrade to OS/390 V2.9.  I upgrade
> within 18
> months to V2.10.  Then CIO decided we were moving everything to SAP.
> Mainframe would be dead within 5 years (that would have been around 2007).
> Short term plans were to upgrade OS to z/OS V1.4 and ride the box into the
> sunset.  Now it is 2010, SAP says that the number 1 application on
> mainframe
> will still be on mainframe for at least 5 more years, maybe forever.  So we
> are
> installing a new 2098 BC (K02, 2 cps, 8 GB memory) and z/OS V1.11.  New
> mainframe, new OS, and it will all be installed on new DASD.
>
> After reading a thread from May and June of 2007 (started I believe by John
> Matson), can I use the V1.4 OS to drive the install of the V1.11 OS on the
> new machine?  I did see in the thread issues with the USS space, but I have
> had USS issues before.  This is about as vanilla a shop as you can find.
>  CICS,
> no IMS, no DB2, we are using MQSeries and a very tiny bit of Java in USS.
> am going to order the customized offerings driver in case, but it sure
> seems
> like it would be a lot easier if I could use my existing Test LPAR to drive
> the
> install.  Once again, I will not be sharing anything, catalogs, JES Spool,
> anything.  Thoughts?

Met vriendelijke groeten/With kind regards

Dick de Groot