-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Mike Kovach
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Killing Off Symbolic JCL Parameter

I am changing a PROC so that DEFAULT SYMBOLIC PRDHLQ=XXXXX.YYY.=

All,=0A=0AI am changing a PROC so that DEFAULT SYMBOLIC
PRDHLQ=3DXXXXX.YYY.=
ZZ is no longer necessary.=A0 Unfortunately, many JCL members
referencde=A0=
the PROC and supply override values for=A0PRDHLQ=3D.=A0 I want to change
th=
e PROC without having to change the JCL right now.=0A=0AI already tried
to =
plug the symbolic into a PARM=0A=0A//STEP=A0 EXEC
PGM=3DIEFBR14,PARM=3D&HLQ=
PARM=0A=0APRO/JCL says that the override PARAMETER needs to be
QUOTED.=A0 T=
his would require changing the JCL.=A0 =0A=0AAny other ideas on how to
burn=
 off the ORPHANED SYMBOLIC?=0A=0AThanks,=0A=0AMike Kovach
<SNIPPAGE>

Put in an IEFBR14 step as the first thing in the proc. I would use
COND=ONLY for this step. Then you can substitute all the parms into the
PARM= string. This allows this step to eat the unwanted/needed parms
while not executing. And should an ABEND occur prior, this step should
still do nothing.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer --