we have a z01-BC model K03, 4 LPARs, equipped with 4 OSA E
Hello list,

we have a z01-BC model K03, 4 LPARs, equipped with 4 OSA Express-3 1GB Ethernet
SX
(CHPID OSD) and 2 OSA Express-2 (CHPID OSC).

Last Sunday we had to swap our network switch with a new one, and after we
connected the cables
coming from all OSAs to the new switch, we were able to ping/telnet to the OSCs
(I had back MCS
consoles and TSO via non-SNA) but we weren't be able to ping/telnet to the OSDs
anymore.
Issuing D TCPIP,,N,DEV from the console showed all 4 devices in ACTIVE status.
Issuing a TSO ping from one LPAR to all others was successful, too.
D NET,TRL,TRLE=trle_name for our TRLEs showed ACTIVE as well.
Eventually we had to shutdown all 4 LPARs, configuring all 4 OSAs OSD off from
the Service Element,
put the same cards in Service Mode, put everything back on line, IPL and
voila', the OSAs OSD were reachable
again.

I can't believe that a sophisticated hw like the z10 and its OSA-Express cards
need such a reset action
after a switch has been swapped. My impression is that we missed a much easier
solution which could
have prevented us to shutdown an entire Sysplex and be cut off from the rest
ofthe world for two hours.

Can someone shed some light ?

Walter Marguccio
z/OS Systems Programmer