Hello Dave,

thank you for your answers.

Yes, the reason for "my" confusion was twofold:

first, the documentation of IBM, which states that the remaining components
of partially initialized automatic structures are not initialized, which is not
conforming to the ANSI standard and is not what the compilers do

and second, the fact, that the MVI, which sets the first byte of the remainder
of the structure to zero and the MVC, which does the rest, are separated by
some 40 instructions from each other, so I didn't see the MVC at first look
(the function prologue is located between these instructions)

But, thanks to the mailing list, I had some closer looks and found the MVCs
in the end, which ended my confusion and the whole mess.

And: thank you for your advertisement. I like your compiler, but I will not
be able to convince my customer to try it - they are very IBM bound, in
my opinion.

Kind regards

Bernd

Thomas David Rivers schrieb:
I'm pretty confident the IBM compiler follows the ANSI C standard
and that some other reason is the cause of the confusion.

If you discover it doesn't, and it's a problem; might I humbly
offer our alternative (which can operate in your LE environment.)
We definately would initialize that structure to all zeros.

And, if you're recompiling anyway... might as well give
our compiler a try...

Just a (partially shameless) plug.

    - Dave Rivers -