-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Mark Zelden
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:01 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Allocate a dataset in an specific track into the DASD
(z/OS)

On Thu, 27 May 2010 12:04:40 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <eamacn...@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>>Is there some way to allocate a dataset specifying the exact position
into
>the Disk?
>
>I have a question!
>Why do you need to do this?

I had a need to do it last week (maybe for the first time in many
years).

I need to move / expand the VTOC on a mod 27 and moved a data set that
was adjacent.  I wanted to allocate a "place holder" so nothing else
would
get allocated there (because I wanted to do it at a later date/time) and

even though I specified the exact size of the free space I wanted to
occupy,
and it was at the front of the volume, for some reason DADSM wasn't
allocating it there until I used ABSTR.

<SNIPPAGE>

So how do I do with Windows or *nix?

Remember, coming to a blade near you....

Regards,
Steve Thompson