> So to me, collecting them and storing them all the time is a waste since they
> are really only useful (for the most part) to IBM and for diagnostic purposes.
> Comparing SMF 99 to CICS and DB2 SMF records ... or SMF 30s and 70s is
> not a good comparison.   It's like keeping a trace on all time (even though
> it might be low overhead) just because you may want it someday.

They certainly aren't used frequently but can be very useful in helping
determine why certain actions were or weren't taken by WLM.  As for keeping a
trace on all the time, in truth, it's irrelevant since you aren't turning that
off.  The only thing you're turning off is the actual collection of the data.
It's easier to have it, especially when trying to resolve a particular WLM
decision than it is to try and recreate the problem.

Adam