-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Ted MacNEIL
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 4:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Is it 5%

>I don't think there's much to be gained by treating Mr. MacNeil's
rhetorical flourish as a research finding.

Gee. Thanks for the respect.
It was not rhetorical.

I did empirical research with STOBE.

Have you?

Also, try -PEEKing with OMEGAMON, and finding where the time is spent.

Yes, user code is written to handle business rules, but how much of
system services are done by user code?

Check, then b*tch.
<SNIPPAGE>

OK. I write BSAM code using low level interfaces. As well as TCP/IP and
UDT.

But I work for an ISV. So my code will be part of that large amount that
is not written by the customer base.

However, in a prior life, I have done VSE to MVS migrations, banking and
scientific software. As a result, I've seen a lot of shops that did
their own in-house development. I've seen a lot of code written in
Assembler, COBOL, RPG, FORTRAN, PL/1 and 3rd GLs besides CLIST and REXX.

So, based on some snap shots of some code from some customers we can say
that the users are only responsible for 5% of the CPU usage?

I think I have a healthy skepticism here. But I've been proven wrong
before.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those held by
poster's employer --