From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 15:32
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Cataloguing fake tape datasets?

In order to keep track of the few tapes I use, without covering
my walls with Post-Its identifying volsers, when possible I append
a small data set at the end of each with a data set name
identifying the purpose and creation date.

Then I can look up the data set in DSLIST to find the volser.

Can I catalog such a handle data set after the fact? Sure:
DISP=(,CATLG),LABEL=(n+1,SL),EXPDT=98000,VOL=SER=<copy from Post-It>.
Can I do it without ever causing the tape to be mounted, perhaps
from ISPF 3.4 or 3.2 or with LM services?

If I can do this only with an assembler program, it's easier for
me to mount the tape.

-- gil