On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:37:53 -0700, Starr, Alan <alan_st...@calpers.ca.gov>
wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>Thanks to those of you who responded. As Mark pointed out, I could install into
> a program controlled TCP/IP library with a USERMOD and perhaps I should. If
> IBM distributed TCP/IP with the MOD or LMOD (i.e. FTCHKCMD) defined, I
>would be obligated to install with a USERMOD. Since FTCHKCMD is unknown to
> SMP/E, I decided to install into our "local" LINKLIB.

Many shops install their JES2 exits as usermods, and none of those
replace known SMP/E elements either.    But just as many I've been
at install them outside of SMP/E  into a release specific library like
you have (often concatenated via PROGxx SYSLIB).

>It seems to me, however, that this issue could arise with a software
>component that is not part of z/OS.

It can, and it does.   CICS, DB2, MQ for example.   The installation
instructions
tell you the security requirements and adding the new names
is just part of the process if you don't use static names.

>As a general rule, our non-z/OS target DSNs (i.e. true names) include a
>version-release-level qualifier. Installation and maintenance is done using
>these DSNs (which are specified in the DDDEFs). They are accessed by
>executables (e.g. JCL and EXECs) via a SYMBOLICRELATE alias that does not
>incorporate the version-release-level qualifier (which is represented in the
>SYMBOLICRELATE with a symbol).

It seems to me that if you re-create the library and modules for each
release, then the usermod is no extra work.  If all you do is create
the library and then copy from old-version to new-version for all the
modules or most of them (without out re-asm/link), then what is the
benefit of having them live in a release specific library?

I can tell you that I usually like a combination of  both.   A library for
the sort of thing you are doing that has a static name where the modules
don't (normally) have any release dependencies, and one that does for
release dependent modules (like JES2 exits).

Mark
mailto:mzel...@flash.net