>I imagine that if MSUs are derived from some standard workload test, then the
>answer is yes.

Representative benchmarks are an oxymoron.
IBM runs LSPR, but NOT for all models in a processor family.
Unless things have changed, both above, and the fact that they user linear
relationships to estimate values, when all the data points to a curve, makes
the figures suspect.

I've been using LSPR, since it was still presented in a ZZ manual, in the early
1980's, and while it had flaws, it helped understand processor capacity.

Thrice, it had major flaws:
1. When it was used to OEM-bash.
2. When they suddenly dropped TSO and added WebSphere, on the zBOX. There was
no bridge to previous processors. IE: No TSO on the new box, and no WebSphere
on the old box, so you could not compare, and there was absolutely no
justification for a throughput statement for WebSphere, specifically. In
scientific experiments, that's called missing a step.
3. The linearisation of exponential regression curves.

All three make results suspect.

>If the marketing people mess with MSUs *within* a single processor line then
>all bets are off.

They do.
It's called the technilogical dividend.

-
I'm a SuperHero with neither powers, nor motivation!
Kimota!