<snip>
Was it because there were a lot of inexperienced assembler programmers
writing code? Was it because people thought the platform would not last
and treated every program as a "throw away"? Was it due to limitations in
the assembler itself?
</snip>

Having been 'part of that problem', I believe that the last two statement
are correct. The first one is definitely not true because there were some
outstanding coder then. The assemble didn't take labels for lengths and
displacement and, as mentioned, going thru fiche, to find displacement and
lengths made it difficult enough. And 'throw away' could be part of the
issue, as I remember out full time job was trying to keep the hardware and
software up long enough to do coding.

just a thought

Jack Kelly
202-502-2390 (Office)