Edward Jaffe wrote:
Clark Morris wrote:
On 21 Jul 2010 14:48:39 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

Clark Morris wrote:
...  If I understand other postings and from what
I recall from 20 years ago when I was an active systems programmer,
FORCE ARM was a last resort...
FORCE is a last resort. FORCE ARM is how you cancel a non-cancellable address space.

Typical IBM backwardness.  FORCE ... ARM is less dangerous than just
FORCE ..., thus making a miskeying dangerous.  It probably should be
changed to FORCE ARM/NOARM with ARM being the default where FORCE
NOARM would be the same as FORCE today.

And, there's the issue of "ARM" being confused with anything having to do with the MVS Automatic Restart Manager (ARM).

Silly lad, of course ARM has nothing to with ARM! For that there's the ever popular ARMRESTART operand.

It's a "mess".

Bob