I go both ways.  My general rule of thumb is that if it resides on the
target or dlib volumes they go in the master catalog.  The HFS volume has
everything in its own user catalog.  So does SMPE stuff.  The rest of the
files, like JESx, FFST, MSYS, etc, go on another volume that I regard as a
throw-away.

Everyone has their own scheme.