I'm not sure what IBM's PDS design objectives were in the early '60s, but I
expect that one was to store multiple data sets per track.  Of course, these
would tend to be small data sets.  I expect that IBM assumed that very few
customers, if any, had very large members. Therefore when they designed a
replacement, PDSE, handling large members was not likely to be a high
priority. Of course, that does not help you, but I can easily see the PDSE
designers asking, his member has how many lines?