It is still possible to build commands like: V
(xxxx,xxxx,xxxx,xxxx,xxxx,xxxx,xxxx,xxxx),OFFLINE
The start command is not needed, and should be eliminated.  If there are any
developers left working on that product that know what they are doing they will
agree, at least once they know the facts.  Unfortunately, I don't know who is
left working on that stuff, or even where the development is done, since I left
in 2001.

>>> Lizette Koehler <stars...@mindspring.com> 7/26/2010 2:50 PM >>>
You all - as always - have provided wonderful history for I/O processing.

I think the use of one character procs goes back to Punch cards.  Too many
holes - too little action...

However, the main question I have is - Is it still necessary to do this?
According to EMC they indicated that the reason they added the S DEALLOC was
because varies were taking upto 6 mins.  So the use of S DEALLOC was to speed
that process up.

However, in todays processors and Storage Arrays, is z/OS really that slow at
issuing a V xxx,OFFLINE and the kicker (S DEALLOC) is required?

And the EMC software does a one on one vary.  I am not sure, unless a total
rewrite is done, that they could bunch the commands up if that were possible.
In our case, we do not have our snap volumes sequential - always one here and
one there, so a massive vary offline command could not be created.

Lizette

CONFIDENTIALITY/EMAIL NOTICE: The material in this transmission contains
confidential and privileged information intended only for the addressee.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received
this material in error and that any forwarding, copying, printing,
distribution, use or disclosure of the material is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this material in error, please (i) do not read it, (ii) reply to
the sender that you received the message in error, and (iii) erase or destroy
the material. Emails are not secure and can be intercepted, amended, lost or
destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if
you communicate with us by email. Thank you.