-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:06 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Another reason to hate PDSE's

<SNIP>
If you don't understand what's wrong with PDS, re-read Etienne Thijsse's
thread on attempting to delete a PDSE member.  Or imagine my astonished
dismay the first time I allocated a member with DISP=(OLD,DELETE) and
watched the entire PDS vanish.  Enough counterintuitive behaviors and
"flaws"
with recondite repairs add up to "wrong".

<SNIPPAGE>

I suppose that if I were to work with a VSAM file with
DISP=(SHR,DELETE), that it would be JCL's fault when the VSAM file goes
to the bit bucket.

And if you were using a data base that you have to point to, and you
wanted to delete a row and coded DISP=(OLD,DELETE), that would be JCL's
fault also.

Later,
Steve Thompson