re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010l.html#76 History of Hard-coded Offsets
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010m.html#1 History of Hard-coded Offsets

the thing that even made the 3390 statement possible was the existance
of the whole additional complexity of the CKD virtualization layer on
top of FBA devices; aka there is no longer any direct relationship
between what the system thinks of as DASD CKD geometry and what actually
exists (something that the underlying FBA paradigm had done for the rest
of the industry back in the 70s).

misc. past posts on the subject of FBA, CKD, multi-track searches, etc
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#dasd

as I've commented before ... I was told that providing fully integrated
and tested MVS FBA support, it would still cost an additional $26M for
education, training, publications to ship ... and the business
justification had to show incremental profit that more than covered that
$26M; aka on the order of $300M or so in additional DASD sales directly
attributable to FBA support (then the claim was that customers were
buying DASD as fast as it could be built ... and the only thing that FBA
support would do, was switch same amount of disk sales from CKD to FBA).
It was not allowed to use life-cycle cost savings ... either internal
cost savings or customer cost savings as business justification for
shipping FBA support.