Sort of

We run LOGON=AUTO but have OPERCMDS restricted so that the only commands
that can be issued without a (user) logon are display and control
commands (K E,1 etc)

We also use automation to perform an unconditional LOGOFF 15 minutes
after a LOGON (timer reset with next LOGON).  Not exactly an inactivity
timeout (I could be actively issuing commands for 15 minutes and the
LOGOFF will still happen).  A PITA at times but that's rare.

Even in a controlled access area there are still 'unauthorized'
personnel wandering around (cleaning crew, electricians, security
guards, distributed systems folks, maintenance crew, etc.).  Generally
trustworthy to keep their mitts off the consoles but I wouldn't bet my
job on it.

We've had no major issues with the requirement other than the expected
bit of grumbling at the start.

I only wish you could logon to more than one system in a plex at the
same time (there was a thread about this earlier).