-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Lizette Koehler
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:56 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: 3270 Emulator Software

<SNIPPAGE>

However, I was wondering if there were others.

My requirements are support (well supported), cost, encryption and usage
across a wide platform (z/OS, Linux, Windows, etc...).  And it has to be
deployed via Citrix.

I am not sure what anyone else is using out there for this type of
software.  I love Vista3270 but I am not sure that my company will even look
at it.

<SNIPPAGE>

I personally use QWS3270 Plus. There is also a secure version (does SSL as I
recall). I have run it on Linux using Wine (not the secure, as I don't have
that variant).

It is well supported, and as far as I am concerned, the price is good (QWS3270
Plus is less than US$30 single seat the last time I priced it).

I am not a Citrix user, so I have no idea about how QWS will interface with it
(we have Citrix here, I am just fortunate to only need a "normal" VPN).

The biggest kicker that I have come across in evaluating 3270 software:

Scripting language and how it is supported. If you already have a system
written using one language, will it easily port to another 3270 emulation
system?

The next one, which is much more important to me is, can I map my keyboard
(whether it is a keyboard or a laptop keyboard wannabe) to behave as much as
possible to a real 3270 keyboard, including all the programmable keys (PF and
PA)? Since I am a touch typist, this is a critical thing to me. Don't make me
use a mouse to get PF3 or PA2 or some such.

Regards,
Steve Thompson